Christmas 2016 Travel Deals. Book Now & Save with Package Deals!
Tell us you want to send a family & loved one to Africa this Xmas! And qualify for our special offer!
save up to $150, if you book with us and confirm your booking by November 31, 2016.
WHERE DO YOU WANT TO GO
Hot Offers !
- MARANGU 7 DAYS GROUP DEPARTURE$1,498
- RONGAI 8 DAYS GROUP DEPARTURE$1,776
- MACHAME 9 DAYS GROUP DEPARTURE$2,019
- LEMOSHO 10 DAYS GROUP DEPARTURE$2,325
- KILIMANJARO CLIMB NORTHERN CIRCUIT$2,180- $2,488
- KILIMANJARO CLIMB LONDOROSSI ROUTE$2,587
- TEMBO 5 DAYS SAFARI $1,518
- KIFARU 7 DAYS SAFARI $2,139
- SIMBA 3 DAYS SAFARI $899
- SERENGETI MIGRATION $2,664
- WILDEBEEST MIGRATION PACKAGE 6 DAYS
- SAFARI TO SUPPORT NGORONGORO PRE-SCHOOL
- MAASAI LODGE
- THE BEST OF AFRICA SAFARI
- WILDEBEEST CALVING NDUTU
- CLIMB KILIMANJARO & SAFARI ADVENTURE #1 (13 DAYS)$4,233
- KILIMANJARO MACHAME ROUTE & SAFARI 3 DAY #2 (11 DAYS)$3,517
- KILIMANJARO MARANGU ROUTE & CLASSIC SAFARI #3 (11 DAYS)$3,715
- 6 DAYS RONGAI ROUTE COMBINED WITH 3 DAYS LODGE SAFAR. $3,063
- 5 DAYS MARANGU ROUTE COMBINED WITH 3 DAYS LODGE SAFARI $3,715
SPECIAL PACKAGE !!!
- SUSTAINABLE TOURISM WITH ZARA CHARITY PACKAGE #1 (CODE:- STP14#1)
- SUSTAINABLE TOURISM WITH ZARA CHARITY PACKAGE #2 (CODE:- STP14#2)
- ZARA INCLUSIVE TREKKING PACKAGE
- ZARA INCLUSIVE TREKKING & SAFARI PACKAGE
- SKYSAFARI PACKAGE
- THE FAMOUS EAST AFRICAN MIGRATION PACKAGE (SERENGETI & MARA)
- COME TO AFRICA AND SUPPORT THE FIGHT AGAINST POACHING
- CLEAN KILIMANJARO SPECIAL
- UGANDA RWANDA 14 DAYS SAFARI
- SOUTHERN PEOPLES & CULTURE PACKAGE
- ETHIOPIA NORTH & SOUTH COMBINED PACKAGE
- 9 DAYS KENYA SAFARI
ZARA TOURS DAY TRIPS
- Nyerere Golden Award Best Women Achievers in 2015
- "Talk of the Town" published in The Arusha Times on Dec 12 to 18, 2015
- Zara Tours recognized as the best tour company of the year
- Zara Tanzania Adventures recognized as the best tour company of the year 2013/2014
- ICA, SNOW AND SAVANNA book
- HATS Certificate of Membership
- GEITA GOLD MINE EXPEDITION AGAINST HIV/AIDS 2014
- 54 years old North Carolina Native
- Receives 2014 Gloval Certificate of Excellence from Trip Advisor
- ZARA TOURS INC receives 2013 Canadian Excellence Award
- Clean-up Kilimanjaro Machame Route - October 1, 2015
- Zainab Ansell: Exemplary woman entrepreneur
- Wins of 2012 Humanitarian Award in London
- Ngorongoro Marathon
The Kilimanjaro Porters Society was created in 2004 by Zara Tours to improve the working conditions of all porters on Mount Kilimanjaro and other hiking areas in Tanzania.
A valid yellow fever vaccination certificate will have to be shown at the points of entry to Tanzania and Zanzibar.
This is a measure for your safety and to help prevent outbreaks.
Did you know?
Due to its outstanding charitable community support, ZARA has been awarded winner of the 2010 Tanzania Tourism Tour Operator Humanitarian Award!
Kilimanjaro Marangu Route
The "Coca Cola" Route is Kilimanjaro's easiest, shortest, and most popular route. The trip usually takes 5 days. You can however also add an additional acclimatization day and make it a 6-day trip.
5 days trekking from Moshi; 3 and a half days ascending, 1 and a half days descending
32 km/20 mi ascent; 64 km/40 mi round trip
4,065 m/13,340 ft gain; 4,065 m/13,340 ft descent Marangu Gate (1,830 m/6,000 ft) to Uhuru Peak (5,895 m/19,340 ft) and return
The Marangu Route is the easiest and shortest route to Kilimanjaro's summit and is known as the "Coca Cola" or "tourist" route. This is the only route on Kilimanjaro with the comforts of solar-powered sleeping huts and comfortable beds at every camp. The huts are communal, and each bunk has a sponge mattress and pillow. There are 60 beds at both Mandara and Kibo Huts and 120 beds at Horombo Hut. Bathrooms and running water are available at the two lower huts. Basic men's and ladies' latrines are available at the last camp.
Moshi (915 m/3,000 ft)
Arrive at the Kilimanjaro International Airport. You will be met at the airport and transferred to the Springlands Hotel or similar hotel in Moshi for your overnight. You can start your trek any day of the year!
Day 1 Moshi (915 m/3,000 ft) to Marangu Gate (1,830 m/6,000 ft) to Mandara Huts (2,740 m/9,000 ft) 8 km, 3-4 hours Montane Forest
After breakfast and a briefing from your guide, leave Moshi at 9 AM, drive for 45 minutes to the Marangu Gate on the eastern side of Kilimanjaro, register with the national park, and begin hiking at 10:30 AM. In the rainforest, look for towering Eucalyptus trees, bird life, and Colubus monkeys. At these lower elevations, it can be wet and muddy, so gaiters and trekking poles will help. Shorts and t-shirts should be sufficient, but keep your rain gear and warmer clothing handy. Stop halfway for lunch, and reach the Mandara Huts at 2 or 3 PM. Unpack, rest, and have some tea or coffee. A 15 minute side trip to Maundi Crater is a good way to see the surroundings including Northern Tanzania and Kenya. Dinner is served during the early evening at 7 PM. Bathrooms with running water are available.
Day 2 Mandara Huts (2,740 m/9,000 ft) to Horombo Huts (3,690 m/12,100 ft) 12 km, 5-6 hours Heathland
Wake to a 7:30 AM breakfast, and pack for your next trek. Break camp by 8:30 AM, hike for an hour through rainforest glades, then follow an ascending path through heathland where you can look for giant lobelias and groundsels. Continue up into open moorlands where small shrubs are the main vegetation. Stop halfway for lunch,
Day 3 Horombo Huts (3,690 m/12,100 ft) to Kibo Huts (4,695 m/15,400 ft) 5-8 km, 3 hours Alpine Desert
Wake to breakfast as usual, but if you wake early you can get some great photos of the sunrise. The first part of the day's hike climbs through the dwindling heathland that blends into a moonscape as you enter the sweeping saddle connecting Mawenzi and Kibo. When you stop for lunch, and later when you cross this surprisingly large saddle, you can examine the summit climb up Kibo that you will be starting in just a few hours. Be careful to notice any signs of altitude sickness. There is no running water at the Kibo Huts.
Day 4 - Summit Day! Kibo Huts (4,695 m/15,400 ft) to Uhuru Peak (5,895 m/19,340 ft) to Horombo Huts (3,690 m/12,100 ft) 4 km up, 12 km down 5-6 hours Alpine Desert
Wake at midnight to a light breakfast, then prepare for your summit ascent. The goal is to climb before dawn so that you can reach Uhuru Peak shortly after sunrise. Leave at 1 AM, switchback up steep scree or possibly snow, and reach Gilman's Point on the crater rim at 5,861 m/18,640 ft between 5 and 7 AM. Here, views of the fabled crater and its icecaps greet you. Another 2 hours of hiking along the crater rim near the celebrated snows takes you to Kilimanjaro's true summit, Uhuru Peak, by 9 AM. This is Africa's highest point, and you would have to travel more than 3,000 miles toward the Himalayas to find a higher peak! Be sure to have your picture taken at the summit to show your friends. After your summit stay, descend back to the Kibo Huts, have lunch, rest, collect your things, and re cross the saddle to the Horombo Huts. Eat dinner and get some well-deserved sleep!
Day 5 Horombo Huts (3,690 m/12,100 ft) to Marangu Gate (1,830 m/6,000 ft) to Moshi (890 m/2,920 ft) 32 km, 12-14 hours
Wake as usual, pack, and descend through the moorland to the Mandara Huts. Have lunch there then continue your triumphant recessional down through lush forest to the park gate, which you should reach around 2 or 3 PM. Remember to tip your guides, cooks, and porters, since you will be leaving them here. A vehicle will take you back to the Springlands Hotel or similar hotel in Moshi, where it is definitely time for celebration!
Depart for the airport or other destinations in Tanzania or Kenya. A trip to the beaches at Zanzibar is a good way to recuperate. We can arrange many reasonably priced trips and safaris around Moshi and the Kilimanjaro region.
Extra Day for Acclimatization
You can add an extra day at the Horombo Huts (3,690 m/12,100 ft). You can spend a full day and a second night at Horombo. On this day, you can either rest at thehuts or take a stroll up to the Mawenzi basecamp then return to the Horombo Huts. This extra day will help your acclimatization, and further your understanding of the mountain's weather and altitude. After your pause, you will continue up to the Kibo Huts on your fourth day for your midnight start to the summit.