ZARA TOURS TIPPING POLICY
Tips will vary depending on the length and complexity of the trip, the number of staff on the trip and the number of clients on the trip. Generally groups like to meet together before the end of the trek to discuss how much they would like to tip each staff member based on their individual trek experience.
You will be given an envelope at the Springlands Hotel after your trek for your tip money.
Tips should not be dependent on whether you summit or not, but rather whether your guides and porters were professional and had your best interests in mind.
If your guides and porters have not met your expectations, please inform Zara at the Springlands Hotel immediately, and don’t feel obligated to give a tip. If they press you for a tip during your trek, inform Zara as well, as this is against company policy.
Do not pay tips on the mountain nor should you pay for any extra services while you are on the mountain other than for the purpose of refreshments
(only regularly available on the Marangu Route). It is also worth bearing in mind that items of clothing and footwear, for children or adults, used or new, are also highly valued and can be given as well as money tips.
Also you are also welcome to invite your guides back to the Springlands Hotel for drinks and/or dinner (on you) as a thank you in addition to their tip.
You can use US dollars, Euros, TZ Shillings or a combination of these.
The following are daily rates for each climber recommended to tip per staff member:
- Per Chief Guide:$20- 25 Per day
- Per Assistant guide: $15- 20Per day
- Per Cook $10- 15 Per day
- Per Porter: $8-10 Per day
Note: Each client should expect to tip between US$ 250 – US$ 350 for the entire climb
For all Kilimanjaro routes except Marangu you will have:
1 climber: 1 guide, 3 porters, 1 cook
2 climbers: 1 guide, 6 porters, 1 extra assistance guide, 1 cook
3 climbers: 1 guide, 9 porters, 1 extra assistance guide, 1 cook
4 climbers: 2 guides, 9 porters, 1 extra assistance guide, 1 cook, 1 waiter
For Marangu you will have:
1 guide and 1 cook for each 8 climbers, 1 extra assistant guide per each
3 climbers, 2 porters per climber
* If you have booked your climb through an agent that gave you different information, please tip according to the agent’s information.
* To avoid confusion, on the first day of your climb, please confirm with your guide the correct total number of staff that you or your group have. Don’t pay tips to any other persons.
* When you do the tipping at Springlands Hotel, please make sure the guide is accompanied by at least one other member of your crew to allow total transparency.
If anything is not clear ask NUR or Frank at Springlands Hotel.