AMREF Flying Doctors
AMREF Flying Doctors air evacuation service
ZARA would like to recommend to all our clients to book a membership with the AMREF Flying Doctors of Nairobi.
Please inform our staff when you make a booking if you are interested and you can get your insurance coverage vouchers through us.
In case of medical emergency, there will be one free air ambulance evacuation service from all Tanzanian wilderness areas to Nairobi hospital. There is also a free 24 hours Flying Doctor’s Emergency Response telephone for medical advice.
AMREF, the African Medical and Research Foundation has been in existence for over 35 years as a non-profit making foundation. Headquarters are in Nairobi,
Kenya, and there are Tanzania offices in Arusha and Dar-es-Salaam.
Unutilised membership subscription fees go towards funding the work of AMREF Outreach and charity evacuations. In Tanzania, AMREF funds The AMREF Muhimbili Outreach programme which flies out specialist doctors to rural areas to treat the less fortunate and train medical staff in those areas.
The costs are as follows:
- 500 km radius from Nairobi (which includes all Northern Tanzania National Parks, Kilimanjaro, and Kenya) 15 US$ p.p. for 14 days and 25 US$ p.p. for 2 months
- 1000 km radius from Nairobi (which includes all Tanzania incl. the islands of Zanzibar, Pemba and Mafia, and Kenya) 30 US$ p.p. for 14 days and 50 US$ p.p. for 2 months.
All hospital costs, medical treatments, medicines etc. are not included in this service, so it is strongly advisable that additionally to the AMREF membership you hold an adequate travel health insurance.
Please note that your contract for this service will be directly with AMREF, not with ZARA Tours. ZARA Tours is just an agent for AMREF. So please check all conditions and details on the AMREF website at http://www.amref.org.
Flying Doctors Society of Africa.
- The Society is a fundraising organization that has been in existence for over forty years, we raise funds specifically to finance medical outreach work in Africa. We do so by, among other things, selling membership and shop merchandise.
- All our members are entitled to free unlimited air ambulance evacuations in case of a medical emergency while in East Africa and two ground ambulance evacuations in Kenya.
- We co-ordinate all emergency calls and evacuation through our 24hr radio room guaranteeing all our members a fast, reliable and effective evacuation response.
The costs are as follows;
500km radius – covers – (Kenya, Tanzania northern circuit – including Mt. Kilimanjaro) $15 per person for 14days and $25 dollars for two months
1000km radius – covers – (Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania Rwanda and Burundi) $30 for 14days and $50 dollars for two months
Please see below rescue sites suitable for helicopter rescue in Mount kilimanjaro….
- a) Barranco Camp 3960m
- b) Horombo Hut 3700m
- c) Karanga Camp 4035m
- d) Kibo Hut 4700m
- e) Kikelewa Camp 3630m
- f) Mawenzi Tarn Hut 4310m
- g) Moir Camp 4175m
- h) Millenium Camp 3790m
- i) Mweka Camp 3080m
- j) Pofu Camp 4030m
- k) Rongai 2 3000m
- l) Lower Lava Tower 4640m
- m) Shira Camp 3845m
- n) Shira 1 Camp 3500m
- o) Shira 2 Camp 3900m
For more details please check with Zara Tours and ask/get your Cover.