- Transfer to Akagera National Park in the morning. Afternoon for a thrilling boat ride on Lake Ihema to go see schools of hippos, the giant Nile crocodiles and lots of water birds – over 50 species recorded here. Overnight at Akagera Game Lodge.
- Early breakfast at 5:45am; in preparation for an early bird watching day at 6am. It’s important to start early before it gets hot and avoid birds go in hide due to heat. A good day to see other wildlife besides birds such as the eland cape and roan antelopes, in addition to the 525 bird species including some Albertine rift endemics recorded in this park. We will search for the shoe bill stork around Birengero and Rwanyakizinga lake. Diversity of reptiles, amphibians, plants, magnificent landscapes, historical sites etc. The park is known for holding the highest concentration of birds per square kilometer in any national park of Africa. Dinner and overnight at Akagera Game Lodge
Transfer to Nyungwe National Park; enroute has stops along Nyabarongo river basin for more bird watching. Optional – visit to the Cathedral of Kabgayi and other many historical sites such as the ancient King’s palace at Nyanza, National Museum at Huye, overnight in Nyungwe
- The biggest afro-mountain forest in East and Central Africa & the remotest source of River Nile according to National Geographic Society:
- Early breakfast at 5am then drive through the park searching for as many as we can from the 278 bird species listed here. Chimpanzee trekking will be optional. The fantastic tea plantations around Nyungwe National Park add more value to scenery as you wait to add more lifers. In the afternoon, visit the waterfalls in the park – enroute site some new species of birds-overnight in Nyungwe
This day is dedicated to birding in Kamiranzovu swamp searching for the rare Ruwenzori turacos, and the grauer’s swamp warblers etc. You will visit different locations in the park to try and see as much as you can and if possible all the 27 Albertine rift endemic birds found in Nyungwe forest. End the day with a canopy walk in the forest overnight in Nyungwe.
This day is dedicated to birding on mountain Bigugu searching for more rare bird species. You will continue to visit different locations in the park to try and see as much as you can and later transfer to Kigali overnight in Kigali
(This package can include the gorilla trekking on the 6th day depending on the need of the guest)
- Transfer to the airport and fly out.
visit the Basilica of Kabgayi, the ancient King’s palace at Nyanza, National Museum and Huye “the intellectual town of Rwanda”. Drive back to Kigali for diner and overnight as well as souvenir shopping.
Transfer to the airport and depart Rwanda.