Health And Safety
HEALTH AND SAFETY ON MOUNT KILIMANJARO WITH ZARA TOURS
With 30 Years of experience, we understand safety!
It’s important to understand the health and physical challenges you may face when climbing Kilimanjaro.
With proper preparation and careful attention to safety, climbing Kilimanjaro can be a truly inspiring experience. Zara Tours, as one of the original Kilimanjaro climbing companies, understand everything aspect of safety on Kilimanjaro.
You need to be fit, active and have put in the hours of training to be conditioned to walk up and down hills (5,895 meters / 19,341 ft) over a couple of days. Don’t be a liability to yourself, others in your group and your climbing crew as you didn’t train enough. Get trained up and prepare properly for this adventure of a lifetime. Secondly, but as important, you’ll want to make sure you have the proper gear to keep you safe and comfortable along the way. From finding the right backpack to wearing adequate footwear and clothing, you’ll want to plan everything you’ll need before you start your climb. You want you to enjoy it and experience the best of the climb. Be prepared!!
Safety on Mount Kilimanjaro,
Zara Tours are attentive to safety measures and takes responsibility for our clients very seriously. Our professional guides are trained and skilled specifically for their adventure. Before and during your climb they will explain to you the precautions and measures. They are prepared to prevent, detect, and treat altitude sickness and other expedition situations, and employ modern rescue measures and evacuation plans in case of any emergencies.
Most Kilimanjaro operators do not have safety measures in place.
They are simply not prepared for emergencies. While it is true that most operators employ guides with many years of experience on Mount Kilimanjaro, that does not necessarily mean they actually know how to handle serious altitude sickness cases. Consider the following excerpt from the Journal of Travel Medicine:
Zara Tours offer the optimal value for African Adventures and Charity Tours in Tanzania. We do not cut corners, nor do we focus on luxury, rather we provide what most visitors want; a safe and successful journey. Lodging and vehicles are owned by Zara Tours, and our guides are employees, not contractors. Flexibility is a major feature when building your tour with us, putting your money where you want it to count. Want better lodging? We can provide. Want additional trips? We can coordinate. Prefer tents? Yes. Adjust the days for the budget you seek.
QUALITY EQUIPMENT & GEAR:
We use modern, high-quality camping equipment and clean, highly rated lodging and facilities to keep our clients as comfortable and safe as possible while on adventures with us. Our mountain gear is warm, waterproof, spacious, and perfectly suited for the rigors of Adventures. We provide thick foam sleeping pads. Mountain gear is comprehensive and known name brands. We rent rucksacks, daypacks, Mount Bell sleeping bags rated to -25 degrees, balaclavas, heavy and light ponchos, socks, duffel bags, hiking poles, ankle gaiters, sweaters, torch/headlamps, flashlights, gloves, sunglasses, long underwear, raincoats, rain pants, hiking boots, water bottles, fleece pants, warm down jackets, hats, and neck scarfs.
Do I Need Travel Insurance?
1. Trip deposits are non-refundable and balance payments are only partially refundable. Therefore, it is prudent for you to protect your investment against trip cancellation, interruption, delays and unforeseeable expenses. Standard travel insurance provides coverage for:
- Trip cancellation
- Trip interruption
- Missed connection
- Travel delay
- Baggage delay and personal items lost
- Hurricane and weather
- Employment layoff
- Pre-existing medical conditions
- Emergency medical
- Medical evacuation and repatriation
- Financial default
2. At a minimum, the insurance should protect you against trip cancellation and trip interruption, should you need to cancel your trip due to circumstances such as training injuries or sickness or emergencies. Ideally,insurance should cover high altitude trekking (not to be confused with “mountaineering” or “mountain climbing” which most insurance will not cover) and all medical and repatriation costs. For our customers residing in the USA, we recommend that you obtain Travel Guard’s Silver, Gold or Platinum plans, which provide coverage for high altitude trekking, trip cancellation, interruption, and delay; lost, stolen and damaged baggage; medical expenses and emergency medical evacuation; and luggage delay, for a low cost. You can compare the Silver, Gold or Platinum plans and purchase online through Travel Guard.
3. Please ensure you have sufficient Medical Cover for the duration of your trip and in particular to cover you
while doing the Kilimanjaro Climb. Zara tours recommend WORLD NOMADS.
Today, in terms of guest numbers, Zara Tours is Tanzania’s No. 1 Kilimanjaro outfitter and one of Tanzania’s biggest safari operators. Client testimonials are supported by a number of National and International recognition and awards.
In 2012, Zara’s Director, Zainab Ansell, received the Business Entrepreneur of the Year award for running a successful Tour Operating Company.
In 2011 the Tanzania Tourist Board (TTB) provide Zara with Sustainable Tourism Award. Zara Charity received the 2012 Ngorongoro Marathon Award, for organizing a successful race to fight Malaria.
Zara was the winner of 2012 Tours Football Bonanza Cup, as well as the 2012 Humanitarian Award at the World Travel Market (WTM) in London.
The company was also announced as the winner of the 2013 Canadian Certificate of Excellence in Commerce.
The Highview Hotel, owned by Zara Tours, was awarded the 2013/2014 of Excellence by, and Ikoma wild camp was also awarded the 2014 Certificate of Excellence by TripAdvisor.